Above the Influence Campaign to Coincide with National Prevention Week
North Carolina has chosen to center its National Prevention Week messages on the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign messages of “Above the Influence.” These messages are designed to inspire teens to make better decisions regarding drugs and alcohol.
Above the Influence (ATI) is a part of the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign for the Office of National Drug Control Policy. ATI has now added a Tool Kit of activities that can be implemented at the local level by youth groups. The activities have been evaluated and shown to have evidence based outcomes of effectiveness. The North Carolina Centers for Prevention Resources have partnered with key stakeholders of youth serving organizations to provide them with technical assistance and a resource packet to implement statewide ATI activities through the youth serving organizations and the Partnership for a Drug Free North Carolina.
Target Audience: Youth Serving Organizations focusing on advocacy and/or leadership that utilize a youth leadership models and/or have opportunities for activities that involve cooperation, creativity, personal visioning and community involvement. Examples of target groups include but are not limited to: Preventing Underage Drinking Youth Groups; SADD Chapters; PACCs working with youth; Teen Fest; SAVE Chapters; TRU Groups; Scout Troops; Peer Leader Groups; School Leadership Clubs.
- Technical Assistance for Unpaid and Earned Media to highlight local campaign activities
- Web-based social networking to share statewide photos and stories
- License free pre-produced media ads for television
- Above the Influence Tool Kit that includes guidance for low cost or no cost activities that can be implemented by youth groups
- Technical Assistance for using the Tool Kit
- Camera Ready Artwork that can be used for incentives or other branding activities
- Provide CD’s with the Tool Kit to key stakeholders for resource sharing (limited supplies available but copy cat reproducible)
- Provide Media Guidelines and Sample Opportunities for local Unpaid and Earned Media Coverage
- Provide Pre-Produced Television Ads to be used in local media efforts
- Provide Technical Assistance Phone Calls and Learning Community Opportunities
- Provide Social Media Website for participating groups to share photos and stories
- Provide Statewide Media about Above the Influence
- Tie activities and media to National Prevention Week
- Mobilize and unify youth leadership groups to participate in statewide campaign messaging around setting personal drug free goals
- Create culture for youth that supports a decrease in pro-drug use attitudes
- Provide technical assistance and resources for adult leaders
- Provide local opportunities for media to highlight local outcomes
- Provide opportunities to participate in National Prevention Week goals
For more information, contact the North Carolina Centers for Prevention Resources at: ECPR@CoastalHorizons.org